SecTalks: BNE0x03 - Simple
Please remember that VulnHub is a free community resource so we are unable to check the machines that are provided to us. Before you download, please read our FAQs sections dealing with the dangers of running unknown VMs and our suggestions for “protecting yourself and your network. If you understand the risks, please download!
Simple CTF is a boot2root that focuses on the basics of web based hacking. Once you load the VM, treat it as a machine you can see on the network, i.e. you don't have physical access to this machine. Therefore, tricks like editing the VM's BIOS or Grub configuration are not allowed. Only remote attacks are permitted. /root/flag.txt is your ultimate goal.
I suggest you use VirtualBox or VMWare Player with a Host Only adapter. The VM will assign itself an IP address through DHCP.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9spf5m9l87zjlps/Simple.ova?dl=0 [File size: 600MB]
- Get a user shell by uploading a reverse shell and executing it.
- A proxy may help you to upload the file you want, rather than the file that the server expects.
- There are 3 known privesc exploits that work. Some people have had trouble executing one of them unless it was over a reverse shell using a netcat listener.
Contact @RobertWinkel for more hints.
Requires VirtualBox Extension Pack.
Back to the Top
- Filename: Simple.ova
- File size: 593 MB
- MD5: 6D452F0A658B453706F41A5A694D99A1
- SHA1: 8E1D16D500E7BBC218D150F8A199B3C14D730B2C
Back to the Top
- Format: Virtual Machine (Virtualbox - OVA)
- Operating System: Linux
- DHCP service: Enabled
- IP address: Automatically assign