Please remember that VulnHub is a free community resource so we are unable to check the machines that are provided to us. Before you download, please read our FAQs sections dealing with the dangers of running unknown VMs and our suggestions for “protecting yourself and your network. If you understand the risks, please download!
I created this machine to help others learn some basic CTF hacking strategies and some tools. I aimed this machine to be very similar in difficulty to those I was breaking on the OSCP.
This is a boot-to-root machine will not require any guest interaction.
There are two designed methods for privilege escalation.
- 23/09/2015 == v1.0.1
- 22/09/2015 == v1.0
If you are having issues with VirtualBox, try the following:
- Downloaded LordOfTheRoot_1.0.1.ova (confirmed file hash)
- Downloaded and installed VMWare ovftool.
- Converted the OVA to OVF using ovftool.
Modified the OVF using text editor, and did the following:
replaced all references to "ElementName" with "Caption"
replaced the single reference to "vmware.sata.ahci" with "AHCI"
Saved the OVF.
+Deleted the .mf (Manifest) file. If you don't you get an error when importing, saying the SHA doesn't match for the OVF (I also tried modifying the hash, but no luck).
- Try import the OVF file, and it should work fine.
Back to the Top
- Filename: LordOfTheRoot_1.0.1.ova
- File size: 1.6 GB
- MD5: BDDA2E8D966E014FE9301A2FEA81F37C
- SHA1: 98FB6280820278D54EE3D62F2DDAAD27A725934E
Back to the Top
- Format: Virtual Machine (Virtualbox - OVA)
- Operating System: Linux
- DHCP service: Enabled
- IP address: Automatically assign